Re: Question wrt. Software/Product/Brand/Package Renaming and Translations

Hi Helge,

thanks for your prompt reply.

Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> first thanks for sparing translators work. It is greatly appreciated.

Great. I already feared I'd make the translators angry by touching
those files. :-)

> > So I'd be happy if someone could
> >
> > a) do a quick review of my changes to the templates and translations
> >    at http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/xymon.git;a=commitdiff;h=72b9ef66
>
> First:
> The one thing I hope is that the two names do not change gender in any
> language, which might complicate things.

Yeah, I thought about this, too. I just didn't think about that it may
be different in different languages. But I couldn't tell for neither
of those words what gender they do have, if any, so I thought, I can't
break much with regards to genders.

> However, beyond this, I found the following issues:
>
>    -# This file is distributed under the same license as the hobbit package.
>    +# This file is distributed under the same license as the xymon package.

That was on purpose.

> The license (and the version) is the same for hobbit and for xymon?

It's just a renaming (due to some movie company disliked seeing
something named Hobbit), on the upstream side as well as on the
package side. The source package is defacto the same source package as
before. For squeeze, the hobbit transitional packages were built out
of the xymon source package.

> The next change is purly for German (I'm of the team, so it is not your fault,
> the original message was already incorrect):
>    -"Geben Sie den Hostnamen ein den der Hobbit-Client benutzt um Reports and den "
>    -"Hobbit-Server zu senden. Der Name muss mit dem in der Datei bb-hosts auf dem "
>    +"Geben Sie den Hostnamen ein den der Xymon-Client benutzt um Reports and den "
>    +"Xymon-Server zu senden. Der Name muss mit dem in der Datei hosts.cfg auf dem "
>
> Please use:
>    +"Geben Sie den Hostnamen, ein den der Xymon-Client benutzt, um Berichte an den "
>    +"Xymon-Server zu senden. Der Name muss mit dem in der Datei hosts.cfg auf dem "

i.e. Reports -> Berichte, right?

I can change that.

> Besides this, I did not spot any further issue.

Good. :-)

> > b) tell me if I should write to these persons directly for a new Tamil
> >    translation or if I should use podebconf-report-po. (I though fear
> >    that podebconf-report-po sends mails to more than the addresses
> >    listed below which IMHO would cause unnecessary confusion.)
> >
> >    Last-Translator: Dr.T.Vasudevan <agnihot3@gmail.com>
> >    Language-Team: TAMIL <ubuntu-l10n-tam@lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> I strongly suggest you do so.

Ok, will wait for some more answers and do so if I don't get any
different opinion.

Thanks again!

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin