Re: HELP: maint-guide translation proofing for zh_TW

Hi,

Here we are discussing the case converting the phrases used by zh_CN
to zh_TW. Some terms below is convention in Taiwan.

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:05 PM, YunQiang Su <wzssyqa@gmail.com> wrote:
> s/文檔/文件/g
>         In hans, 文檔 and 文件 is not same.文檔 means something like help files,etc.
>         Isn't it in hans?

It's interchangeable. 文件 usually means documents. I think it's
appropriate since the original word is document. The use of 文檔 is rare
here.

> s/示例/範例/g
>         I have no idea about this. 範例 may be better than 示例 ?

We use 範例 in Taiwan.

> s/軟體包/套件/g
>         here,軟體包 means deb packages. What is it called in hans?
>         套件  may means a packages that contains lots of software?

No, 套件 means packages, deb package is a package so 套件 is appropriate here.

> s/這講/時/g # gnupg, typo, should also be fixed in the cn version
>         +1
>
> s/刷新/更新/g
>         In hans, 刷新(Reload) means reload or something like this. But
> 更新(update) may need something hard work.

We do not distinguish between reload and update very much. 更新 usually
can express both. But if you really want to reload something you can
use 重新整理 or 重整. Since in the maint-guide the first appearance of 刷新 is
translated from "quilt refresh", I think 更新 is more appropriate here.

> # s/開源//g not sure
>         As talking in debian-i18n, let's ignore all of
> software,non-free, just for now.

Not meant to delete that term. Just not sure how to convert this term,
or not convert at all. We use 開放原始碼, but also use 開源 which largely
influenced by mainland usage.

> # s/項目//g not sure
>        part agree. Some 項目 indeed should be 工程,just like "Gnu 項目"

We often use 專案 to express this term. But I think 項目 is understandable
so to avoid change other appearances of 項目 which didn't mean "Project"
by accident, I left this for later judgement.

> s/參看/參考/g
>        No idea

參看 is rare here.

> s/在綫資源/線上資源/g # in fact, 綫 should be 線
>        It should fault of opencc

Besides the opencc failure, we usually use 線上 instead of 在線

> s/庫/函式庫/g
>        There are several 庫, I agree that 2 are chaged to 函式庫     库则较难处理    库软件包
>
> s/裏麵/裏面/g # in fact, 麵 should be 面, it's not inter-changeable. maybe a
> error of opencc
>        +1
>
> s/歸檔檔案/壓縮檔/g
> s/解包/解壓縮/g
>        for these two, In origial  English, it not mentioned
> uncompressing, just unpack.

But unpack is usually expressed as uncompressing. It's not
distinguishable from some GUI archive management program. In original
version the 解包 comes from uncompressing the upstream tarball, which is
indeed a compressed file.

> s/相噹/相當/g # in fact, 噹 should be 當, it's not inter-changeable. maybe a
> error of opencc
>        +1
>
> s/圖標/圖示/g
>        圖標==icon in hans

We use 圖示 instead of 圖標

> s/遞歸/遞迴/g
>        a error of opencc?

Not sure if 遞歸 is used in mainland or not.

> s/其他命令去/其他命令前/g # typo, should also be fixed in the cn version
>        +1
>
> s/需要我們編,需要我們編輯輯/需要我們編輯/g # doubled, should also be fixed the cn version
>        +2 note: 輯 is doubled,too.
>
> s/檔案夾/目錄/g
>       both folder and dir translated to 目錄 in hant?  in hans,
> 文件夾==folder, dir==目錄

From the command line perspective, folder is equal to directories. So
we call both 目錄 here.

> s/內核路徑/核心程序/g # cn seems mis-translated
>       should it be 內核函式?   Kernel routines

Routines maybe function calls or macros or internal structures. So I
think 程序 or 函式 is suitable here.

Kanru