Re: languages lists

On Friday 01 May 2009 at 14:13, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> Actually, I was wondering about those three letters iso codes
> (ISO-636-2T or ISO-636-3...?!#@?)

Ah. The ISO standard 639 consists of four parts. One part is ISO 639-1,
which represents the well-known two letter codes (en, it, fr, ...)
Since your application is about localization, those codes should be enough,
because they represent all widely known/spoken/written languages.
The three letter codes have been added in ISO 639-2, they represent
bibliographic and terminology codes for all languages in ISO 639-1, also for
newly added languages which are not part of ISO 639-1. Those are most
probably not important for your use case, because those languages are
extinct, only spoken by very few people, etc.

In short: you can use the two letter codes.

> Now I have another problem, it's that I prefer a "compact" (i.e common)
> language name.
>
> It seems I can reliably drop anything after semi-column and inside
> parenthesis:
> [...]
> Do you think it's correct?

Well, probably. The iso-codes package provides the language names exactly
like they are written in the ISO standard, sometimes this might be too much
information. If you don't want that information, just remove it from the
output.

Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Quathamer | God, I ask for patience -- and I want it right now!
Hamburg, Germany |