Re: Please review/update upstream translations in system-config-printer

Hi Josselin and deb18n :)

On 18/02/2008, at 1:22 AM, Josselin Mouette wrote:

Hi,

while packaging the latest version of system-config-printer, I was hit
by the poor quality of the French translations, and I fear the situation
is the same for other languages:
     * there are many fuzzy strings which give funny results but not
       always something understandable for the user;
     * many strings were added recently and are not translated;
     * the overall quality of the translations isn’t satisfying.

I have mostly fixed French, but a review of other translations would be
nice. We intend to make system-config-printer the default printing
configuration tool in GNOME, but the lack of good translations upstream
could lead to usability issues.

Please send patches or updated translations to the BTS, so that they can
be integrated in Debian and sent upstream.

I think I have some idea why your translations are out-of-date. The Vietnamese translation in your package is dated 2003, and is attributed to GNOME-VI.

I'm part of GNOME-VI, and I've never heard of this package. It's evidently not part of the GNOME desktop (not listed at GNOME SVN [1]) and it looks like it has fallen into the cracks between GNOME and Debian.

To get it translated either at GNOME or here, you do need to make sure translators know of its existence. Coming here is a good start. So, in general, to get your package translated:

1. lodge it with a recognized translation list, such as the GNOME desktop or the Translation Project, OR request its translation on an i18n list

2. publish the source control location of the PO directory of your current version (also attach the current POT file to your email, if you want more languages translated)

3. commit translations promptly and keep us up-to-date, which includes

4. notifying us of upcoming releases (ideally, at least two weeks earlier), best practice is by using a utility such as po-debconf [2]

5. goto 3.

I'll try and get your package translated.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n

[1] http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/

[2] http://people.debian.org/~jfs/debconf6/html/x847.html