Re: Different translations for a single string in debian installer

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 04:44:38PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 23/10/2006, at 7:15 PM, Ming Hua wrote:
>
> >>If we can't use msgctxt yet, can't we put the context into the
> >>comment fields instead?
> >
> >I have no idea what msgctxt is (my gettext 0.15 in Debian doesn't have
> >it), but these comments are read by the program, so I believe you
> >can't
> >put it in the comments.
>
> msgctxt is a formal context field, e.g.
>
> msgctxt "This is a button: keep it short"
> msgid "Convert"
> msgstr "Đổi"

Clytie, thanks for clarifying and asking on translation-i18n.  Also
thanks Bruno and Danilo for the more detailed explanation.

I misunderstood Clytie and thought msgctxt is a command line tool like
msgfmt and msgcat.  Now I can confirm that gettext 0.15 in Debian indeed
support msgctxt.  (Well, at least the info page has the information
about msgctxt and msgcat doesn't complain about a PO file with msgctxt
field. :-)

Ming
2006.10.26