Re: Work started on Release Notes for Etch

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> (18/09/2006):
> On Sunday 17 September 2006 19:57, Yuri Kozlov wrote:
> > 2006/9/17, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl>:
> > > See [1] for general information on how to get a checkout from the DDP
> > > CVS.
> >
> > http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/?root=debian-doc&o
> >nly_with_tag=etch
> >
> > Hey, where are .po files ? :)
> > po4a is not ready for release-notes sgml ?
>
> If someone wants to work on this, I have no objection. But IMO the
> following conditions should apply:
> - don't force translators to use PO files; direct translation of SGML
>   should be valid too
> - warn people about the pitfalls
> - make sure that problems generating SGML from a PO file only breaks that
>   translation and not the whole automated build

I've created the few patches needed to integrate po4a in the build
process. Everything is available at
  http://haydn.debian.org/~thuriaux-guest/po4a/ddp/
To activate po4a for your language (condition 1.), you should include
Makefile.common.po4a from your <ll>/Makefile, by adding the following
line:
  include $(CURDIR)/../Makefile.common.po4a

PO files look like (part of condition 2.):
  release-notes.fr.po
This is far from the results of debiandoc2pot.

For condition 3.:
* Makefile.common.diff is needed, because $(wildcard *.sgml) is
  evaluated before the sgml file has been generated.
* Makefile.diff avoids to stop the whole build if the generation failed.

The only constraint is that the original document should be "more valid",
especially with conditional inclusions.
See for example
http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/en/release-notes.en.sgml?root=debian-doc&r1=1.69&r2=1.70
that fixes some of the problems, and release-notes.en.sgml.diff
(not yet committed) fixes the remaining one.

Last thing to know: addenda should be added to the <ll>/addenda/
directory, with the name <foo>.add. They will be automatically included.

Cheers,

--
Thomas Huriaux