Re: Debian traduction team should work on Xt applications localization too

Jens Seidel, le Sat 26 Aug 2006 11:47:19 +0200, a écrit :
> On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 02:11:29AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Xt applications (like xfig, gv, xterm, ...) are currently not localized,
> > while software support is already there, the traduction team just needs
>
> s/traduction/translation/ ????

Yes.  Sorry for this frenchism.

> > to work on translating labels in /etc/X11/app-defaults.
> >
> > For instance, the attached files are the ones that the xterm
> > package should put in /etc/X11/fr_FR@euro/app-defaults/ for
> > French localization (some UTF-8 versions should also be put into
> > /etc/X11/fr_FR.UTF-8/app-defaults/)
>
> Could you please comment on the following:
>
> * X resource files do not only contain user visible strings but also
>   widget geometries, orientations, ... and other stuff.

Yes.

>   Translating such file would duplicate some information.

No. See the attached files: you can #include main files, and then
override labels.

> * What are the differences between resource file translations and using
>   gettext? I know that the gettext approach would require to add some
>   more code such as explicitly setting the button text via XtSetArgs
>   in the code but allows automatic encoding mapping from the PO file
>   encoding to the encoding used by Xt. Other (dis-)/advantages?

Having to rework all these legacy applications.  I doubt anybody will
be brave enough to do this, compared to just using iconv for
automatically producing appropriate copies.

> * Are you sure that UTF-8 is supported????? I thought Xt applications
>   are only capable to handle 8 bit characters.

Xlib supports UTF-8, and I can read in Xt some references to Xmb*
functions.  Now, it happens that even if I run my xterm in an UTF-8
locale, it uses an 8-bit font for menus. Well, that's actually fine: no
need for UTF-8 translations, fr_FR.UTF-8/app-defaults/* files can just
#include "../../fr_FR@euro/app-defaults/foo" :)

> Since I currently work on a Motif application I would really like to
> know more facts about translations of such (ancient?) applications.

It is just based on the order of X resources discovery. And the default
is to look for localized resources first. See recent thread on the xorg
mailing list: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-August/017717.html

> PS: I will forward this request to the German team. Expect first
> translations soon.

Good :)

Samuel