Re: [translate-pootle] [Fwd: Re: Wordforge]

Hello,

I'll try to be short this time, I want to clarify some
misunderstandings.

> Independently of the backend storage, FOSS projects and translators
> (the users and customers of the system) work with files, which must
> interact with Gettext, translation editors, etc. If the API does not
> produce files, then another layer on top will have to do it, creating
> a new unnecessary layer.

po (or XLIFF) are presentation formats and they belong in a separate
presentation layer rather than in the data storage layer in any case.

> >Trying to stick to a standard format (XLIFF, .po or anything else)
> >for backend storage is not a good idea because it will be
> >unnecessarily limiting.  The standards have their own specifics
> >which we may not care about, so there's the overhead of storing
> >things the 'standard' way, even if it is not convenient.  Eventually
> >the format will simply not be enough.  We will want to keep lots
> >more metadata (e.g., string history, string submitter, date, ...).
> >Storing that in external files, separated from the actual data, will
> >be increasingly uncomfortable.
>
> You should read the standards. They are made by people who have been
> working in localisation for many years, have extremelly clear
> understanding of what is necessary, how to structure it and how it
> should be encoded. We DO care about them. If there was no PO
> standard, each FOSS application would have to do its own translation
> editor, and we would not be here now. We produce standard files so
> that standard translation editors can be developed and used. There is
> no modern computer science without standards.

I was not arguing about standards.  I was arguing about using a
standard XML format for the backend.  I was not aware that XLIFF is
extendable, but I still think that using XML for a database is not a
good idea even though it is feasible.

> The debate of files/DB backend is -nevertheless- independent from the
> use of standards.

I was speaking explicitly about the backend storage format.

> You DO commit to a format, it just happens to have very efficient
> ways of handling data (in general)

Agreed, you do commit to a data structure, but at least there is no
parsing involved.

> If there is change, it will not be tomorow. It requires clear
> planning and some security that the new approach is better, which we
> will only have through experience. This is why I propose in my prior
> mail developing an experimental second DB based back-end (which we
> are prepared to fund), to ensure that all data can be easily mapped
> and that it works better. If it comes out to be clearly better, we
> will be the first ones to go for it.

I couldn't agree more here.  Let's close this case.

> You opinion on the back-end is important, as many others, but please
> remember that there are other people involved, and that there are
> reasons why we do things the way we do them. At some point we might
> need to change the way things are made, but we need to be sure that
> we are moving to a better approach. Opinions are not enough.

Sure.  I was not concerned with inaction but with some basic
misunderstandings.

--
Gintautas Miliauskas
http://gintasm.blogspot.com