Re: Requesting some room to install pootle.debian.org

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:24:34 +0200, Denis Lackovic wrote:

> We use this application for the last two years. More than 100 people used
> it as translators and 6,7 people as project administators. For often used
> features (like online/offline translation) it is very well tested.
> We translated entire openoffice, mozilla suite, most of KDE, Gnome using
> transdict online translation mode.

This tool was presented by Nikola Kotur (Serbian KDE team) last Friday on
the l10n day of the NetUser Conference held at the Bulgarian
St.Anastassia Island.  It looked pretty useful and mature enough, the only
annoying thing was the pengiun (as Linux has nothing to do with above
translation efforts and the kernel itself is not i18n capable).  Pootle
was presented live by Petros Velonis (Greek GNOME team); they have set
their own server and are using it extensively.

Both tools seem very useful, although I think their purpose is quick
translation and results are sometimes far from basic quality.  Having
spent a lot of my time in fixing spoiled translations done with software
with "translation memory/database" features, I hope that the Debian
Project won't impose compulsory usage of such system, once it's been set
up.  Some translators won't benefit from it and won't use it anyway,
others (like me) simply hate web forums/systems/tools/etc.

--
Yavor Doganov			JID: doganov@jabber.minus273.org
Free Software Association - Bulgaria	       http://fsa-bg.org