Re: Need for help in handling l10n for several packages

Christian Perrier wrote:
[...]
For this, you need to:

-have a very good knowledge of l10n issues in general and the use of
 gettext tools (msgmerge, msgcat, etc)

-have a good practice of CVS or SVN

-have an Alioth account..:-)

-subscribe to the package tracking system for the relevant packages
 (http://packages.qa.debian.org/)

-have a correct knowledge of the bug tracking system (manipulating bugs by
 mail, know about tags....)

-follow the package status with regards to l10n and be able to discuss
 and help the maintainer

No problem at all ;-)

That sounds to be a lot of skills, but actually several translators
fit this description..:-)

The relevant packages are:

-debconf

Isn't debconf to be replaced by cdebconf?

-console-data (to be replaced by kbd for etch)
-iso-codes

Isn't iso-codes almost only l10n?

-aptitude
-console-common (maybe not needed)
-localization-config (its maintainer can handle the very small l10n,
 though)
-popularity-contest
-pppconfig (no access no commits, but helping the maintainer is needed)
-xdebconfigurator (very small work)
-discover1 (low activity)
-menu (Bill can handle it well alone, though)

I currently keep shadow (for which I'm the maintainer) and dpkg/apt
(they're maintained with arch, which makes the transition less easy to
do as there's an important learning curve for using tla or baz).

I have already used baz, but only with one central repository. Though I'm certainly willing to learn...

So, please send me "candidatures" and I'll assist you in the
transition. Dennis Stampfer already has such access so if he wants to
take some over, he will get priority. But don't be shy for that
reason..:-)

I'd like to help with (c)debconf, though I won't oppose to others ;-)

Cheers

Luk