Re: [D-I] Using Ubuntu's Rosetta or translate.org's Pootle for handling some Debian translations?

Adding rosetta people [directly] to the loop, and removing boot for now.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 08:31:55PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
[...]

> The Ubuntu project recently announced the Rosetta project while the
> Translate Toolkit team announced the Pootle project at about the same
> moment.
>
> Rosetta: https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta
> Pootle : http://pootle.wordforge.org

[...]

> At first glance, I would tend to favour the Rosetta system. This is
> mainly because we (Debian, and especially the D-I team) have close
> interaction with several Ubuntu contibutors and also because, up to
> now, I have seen several benefits from Ubuntu go back into Debian.
>
> On the other hand, other people may have concerns about using an
> infrastructure controlled by a commercial company such as
> Canonical. The infrastructure itself is, as far as I know, not based
> on free software products (I may be wrong...this is not very clear to
> me).

Indeed. Debian Social Contract:

| 1. Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software
|
| We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution entirely free software.
| As there are many definitions of free software, we include the guidelines we
| use to determine if software is "free" below. We will support our users who
| develop and run non-free software on Debian, but we will never make the
| system depend on an item of non-free software.

This is a no-go. We cannot use non-free software as part of the Debian
infrastructure. There is nothing to discuss as is.

> This is not my own concern, but I feel it may be shared so
> I would not drive us into something which could make some people
> uncomfortable. Another argument is that the Pootle project seems to
> have been adopted (or on its way to be adopted) by several "key" FOSS
> projects and has already received a great interest in the i18n/l10n
> community.
>
> I certainly would prefer seeing both projects converge but I may be
> dreaming..

I'd love to see this happening, too. But until then, pootle is the only way
to go for us.

Ubuntu guys, what about releasing your source code under a free licence?

Bye, Mt.