Coordination of translations via debian-l10n-* lists

Hi All,

The french and dutch l10n teams use their respective mailing lists for
coordination of translations. More precise; we use pseudo-url in the
subjects of messages. Lately I have made some scripts that read these
tags and creates a status page to help us even more.
I was asked to explain this in some more detail on i18n so we can
maybe develop this further, so other teams could also benefit.

Well here goes: As I said translator and reviewers use special subjects
of their posts to the l10n-lists, they have the following form:

	[state] type://name

Where <type> is for example, po-debconf or wml (webpages). <name> is the
subject of translation. And <state> can be one of the following:

 ITT (Intent To Translate)
 RFR (Request For Review)
 ITR (Intent To Review)
 LCFC (Last Chance For Comment)
 BTS (Bug Tracking System)
 DONE

The live cycle of a translation would be:
Tell that we have the intent to translate something, to avoid double
work
   [ITT] po-debconf://courier
Ask for a review of the translation
   [RFR] po-debconf://courier	(with the translation attached).
Add the comments of reviewers and then send
   [LCFC] po-debconf://courier
Then send it to the BTS, you will get a bug number
   [BTS#1232] po-debconf://courier

My status page [0] displays the status of a translation. If you send in
the bugnr with the BTS-tag, it will also check a few times per day if
the bug is closed, if so it will added this information to the page. If
you didn't send it to the BTS, but committed it to cvs for example, you
can use the [DONE] tag.

The status page helps to see if somebody is already working on a
translation. It helps to track down translations that where started on
but never passed the RFR stage. And it list really needly all open bugs
with their date of filing, which will help to track down NMU candidates.

One addition that comes to mind is a [RFT] tag, for developers that need
something translated.

I can imagine that this would also be useful to other language teams.
So maybe we should optimize it a bit and in the end give it a place
under http://www.debian.org/intl/

grts Tim

[0] http://www.famdijkstra.org/debian/l10n/
[1] http://www.famdijkstra.org/debian/l10n/pseudo-urls.html