Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf

Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> I wrote separate packages of libtext-wrapi18n-perl and
> libtext-charwidth-perl.  The reason why I made as many as two
> additional packages is that libtext-wrapi18n-perl is architecture
> independent while libtext-charwidth-perl is architecture dependent.
>
> When I designed these packages, I kept in mind to balance simplicity
> and generality.  Especially, introduction of architecture-dependent
> part helped reducing code size drastically.  Also, I tried to keep
> portability.
>
> I made debconf to Depends: on these packages.  Thus, priority of
> these new packages must be higher or equal to "important".
>
> These packages, new patch for debconf, and new patched package of
> debconf are available at:
> http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/mojibake/debconf
> as usual.
>
> Please test them and/or give comments.  Since this is my first
> experience to write Perl module and XSUB packages, these packages
> may have basic mistakes.

It seems reasonably well done. You might want to add support for ':all'
to the exporters. libtext-charwidth-perl should depend on perlapi-5.8.0;
dh_perl should help you with that.

I am introducing two new packages as part of debconf. debconf-i18n will
include debconf's mo files, translated documentation, and will depend on
your packages, and on liblocale-gettext-perl and libtext-iconv-perl.
debconf-english will be empty, and depend on nothing. debconf itself
will depend on debconf-i18n | debconf-english, which should make fully
i18ned debconf be installed by default, while leaving the option open to
not install all that stuff for people who don't need it and need to
conserve disk space.

I've put debconf packages with these changes up at
http://kitenet.net/~joey/tmp/debconf/ , please let me know how it works.

I know of one bug -- try to reconfigure debconf with the editor frontend
and debconf-i18n installed. Your text wrapper seems to leave out a
newline that the other one puts in, and so the generated document looks
like this:

# (Choices: Dialog, Readline, Gnome, Editor, Noninteractive) What interface
# should be used for configuring packages? debconf/frontend=""

Instead of this:

--
see shy jo