Re: Asking for a new pseudo package in the BTS: l10n-french

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 05:15:07PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
[...]
> > What kind of debconf templates are you translating? The ddtp page is not
> > clear about that, and I seem to remember that you still translate debconf
> > templates of the old generation, ie, the ones handled by debconf-utils.
>
> you can btw test the first files, see
> http://ddtp.debian.org/debconf/template_unstable/base-config/templates-de.po

There are several problems:
  * all msgids have a trailing space
  * msgids are not unique
  * encoding is not specified

But the main problem is that you are extracting templates from binary
packages, and not source packages.  This is exactly as if you were
translating messages by running msgunfmt on .mo files.  You are losing
comments written by previous translators.
That said, it looks nice, I hope you will manage to fix these drawbacks.

Denis