Re: problems with the translated description...

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 03:34:38PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Em Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:02:45 +0200
> I think he wants to know "what if someone sends a GET and doesn't
> translate the thing?"

> and: "why can't we choose what descriptions we're going to
> translate? why is it random?"

These two problems have been solved in the web-interface method we use for the
Spanish translation project. You can choose a package you'd like to translate
from an alphabetical list
(http://www.laespiral.org/proyectos/debian-es/bin/lista)

or from the list of packages in a particular Debian section
(http://www.laespiral.org/proyectos/debian-es/bin/paquetes)

or get a random selection to translate
(http://www.laespiral.org/proyectos/debian-es/bin/traducir)
if you don like it you just ignored and get another one.

The web interface has the big advantage that you can see what other people are
doing and get ideas on how to make your own tranaslations (or even copy+paste
from another translation).
We also have all the descriptions into a single DataBase file.

We definitely have to combine this with grisu's mail interface.
I was hoping to make the scripts available in people.debian.org, but since
I could not manage to use CGI scripts there, I will keep it in laespiral.org
for the time being and I will do this weekend an English version that other
national teams can use.

> I sent mail to our translators list and I think we'll have a good
> help now =)

The web interface also has the advantage that people find it by themselves
from other pages and some of them get hooked on translating packages after
they give it a try.
By the way, Gustavo, we are starting a pt_PT translation here in Porto.

Best regards,
Jaime