Re: language-env with Japanese/Thai/German/Spanish support

Hi,

From: Sebastian Leske <sleske@informatik.uni-essen.de>
Subject: Re: language-env with Japanese/Thai/German/Spanish support
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 10:40:16 +0100

> I just tried your package. Good work!

Thank you for checking!

> - The manpage set-language-env.1.gz says (second paragraph of
>   DESCRIPTION):
>
>   "This version supports Japanese and Thai."
>
>   IMHO it would be better to list all languages supported, to avoid
>   confusion, so it should be:
>   This version supports Japanese, Thai, German and Spanish.
>   (The order is up to you, of course :-) ).

This is a bug. I'll fix it.

> - /usr/share/doc/language-env/README says (ca. middle of the text):
>   "German support is written using user-de_0.8 package.
>    Read README.de* for detail."
>   However, there is no file README.de* in the package.

This is because I don't know about know-how's on German environment.
If you think German people need additional documentation, could you
please write and send it to me?  Please consult README.ja.en which
is written in English.

> - You supply a de.dot.bashrc which updates bashrc. However,
>   according to manpage bash(1):
>   "When an interactive shell that is not  a  login  shell  is
>    started,  bash reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc,
>   ..."
>   That is, .bashrc is NOT executed upon console login
>   (for X-users it's different because opening an xterm does not
>   count as a login shell). Thus, if you log in from the console,
>   the settings from .bashrc are not executed, the user does not
>   get the native language setting.
>   I don't know how to handle that:
>   add the same stuff to .bash_profile, have .bash_profile
>   source .bashrc ...?

Oh, I forgot to supply de.dot.bash_profile though language-env
has ja.dot.bash_profile which invokes ~/.bashrc if it exists.

> There are some mistakes in the translations, and many strings are not
> translated at all. Therefore I went through the files for German,
> correcting things. You can find the new support.de.pl at the end of
> this message.

> In the files
> de.dot.bashrc
> de.dot.emacs
> I think the descriptions at the beginning should be in German as well,
> since they are displayed to the user for selection. Therefore I
> supply patches for de.dot.bashrc and de.dot.emacs at the end of this
> mail.

Thank you very much.  Since I don't understand German language at
all, I cannot write German messages.  However, I rewrited a few points.

language-env supplies two sets of messages: ASCII expression and
native character set for the language.  You used 'u' with umlaut
(&uuml; or \"u) for ASCII messages.  For example, a word 'f&uuml;r'
is used in a few messages.  Can the word be written as 'fuer'
when only ASCII characters can be used?

> One final remark: support.de.pl contains the line:
>   if (&Sub::isinstalled("doc-linux")) {&Sub::addlist("doc-linux-de");}
> However, my Debian2.1/Slink does not have a package doc-linux. Maybe
> it's new for potato? Anyway, why not just propose doc-linux-de to
> the user? doc-linux (which I assume contains English-language-
> documentation) might not be installed because the user doesn't
> understand much English. We're only proposing packages anyway, so
> there can't be much harm in proposing a package the user might
> not want after all. After looking at the package description in
> dselect, he/she can still choose. I'd propose you just put
>            &Sub::addlist("linux-doc-de");
> instead.

I found that there is no 'doc-linux' package.  (I don't know
why I wrote such a code...)  I will adopt your idea.  (For Japanese
language, set-language-env may suggest so many packages that can bother
users.  Thus I tend to cut down packages to be suggested.)

> P.S. BEWARE, the texts below are partially in the ISO-8859-1
> codeset and therefore contain non-ASCII-characters.

Thank you for your consideration.  I can read them using X Window
System.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/