Re: I18n of Packages files

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 04:03:32PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
>
> > I like your idea.
> > I don't understand why dpkg isn't fully i18n? Some time ago I've sent a
> > patch which made i18n for field names. I.e.
> > $ LANG=pl_PL dpkg -s dpkg
>
> GAH! That's fully evil.
>
> Every wonder why things like HTTP and FTP don't have internationalized
> versions? :P

HTTP and FTP are protocols. dpkg is a tool. The difference is the output of
the former are read by other programs, and the latter - by humans.
Browsers and ftp clients are internationalized.
If I understand correctly, Piotr didn't mean to change the fields' names in
control files, but only allow dpkg to output them translated.

If dpkg's output is read by some other programs (i.e. is some kind of a
protocol after all), then probably there should be two interfaces - one for
humans, the other for parsing by programs, if Debian really wants proper
i18n.

regards
Marcin

--