Re: creating Hurd chroots on Linux using DPKG_ROOT chrootless mode

(Please continue to CC me as I'm not subscribed)

Hi,

Quoting Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues (2023-11-19 07:45:16)
> The last patch I have is against init-system-helpers but I'm waiting with
> that one until #1056176 for insserv has been applied because it uses the same
> insserv options and I want to make sure with the insserv maintainers that
> those options are indeed all as they should be set.
>
> So we might just be very close to creating unprivileged, bit-by-bit
> reproducible Hurd chroots from Linux.

bug #1056176 got fixed earlier today and with it the last blocker to get a bit
further on creating Hurd chroots on Linux using dpkg --force-script-chrootless.
My next blocker is less. It says in the log:

Setting up less:hurd-i386 (487-0.1+b1) ...
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/lessfile': File exists
dpkg: error processing package less:hurd-i386 (--install):
 installed less:hurd-i386 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
[...]
Setting up util-linux:hurd-i386 (2.39.3-6) ...
update-alternatives: error: alternative path /tmp/chroot/bin/more doesn't exist
dpkg: error processing package util-linux:hurd-i386 (--install):
 installed util-linux:hurd-i386 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2

The util-linux problem is no surprise because less fails to install when
investigating that issue I noticed the version of less is 487 which is the
version from old-old-stable. Is that plausible? Maybe I'm missing a mirror in
my setup? Currently, I'm running this:

mmdebstrap --variant=apt \
	--include=passwd,debian-ports-archive-keyring,mmdebstrap,sysvinit-core,sysv-rc \
	--customize-hook='chroot "$1" mmdebstrap \
		--mode=chrootless --arch=hurd-i386 \
		--hook-dir=/usr/share/mmdebstrap/hooks/merged-usr \
		--include=sysvinit-core,sysv-rc,passwd --variant=apt unstable /tmp/chroot \
		"deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main" \
		"deb http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main"' \
	unstable /dev/null

Do I need a different set of mirrors? How would I get the latest version of
less on Hurd?

Thanks!

cheers, josch