Re: How can i help?

On 6/15/23, Marius Gripsgard <marius@ubports.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a soon to be DD (only awaiting approval), with this i want to help
> out debian-hurd as i find this a interesting side project.
>
> How can i help out? what are the most pressing issue? and a suitable get
> to know the system task? I find the newly started amd64 port pretty
> interesting, and want to help out here.  I also want to try to get qt on
> hurd, whats the status here?
>
> I my strongest side is C++ and QT, but am i'm fluent in C, rust, python
> and javascript.  I have done a lot of low level development, mostly on
> arm mobile and embedded devices.

Hi, I'm just a lurker here, but your subject was too good to pass up.
I just ran:

how-can-i-help -o|grep hurd

That searches for old and new packages with "hurd" somewhere in the
mix. Its partial description:

"show opportunities for contributing to Debian
 how-can-i-help hooks into APT to list opportunities for contributions to
 Debian (orphaned packages, bugs tagged 'newcomer') for packages installed
 locally, after each APT invocation."

My quick query is not the best way to use it, but I'm trying to run
out the front door. "man how-can-i-help" might provide a lead that's
tied to how you think you might be able to help. I've not pushed that
program yet so I'm not sure how limited its results might be in the
end.

The above query provided one result, by the way:

bsdutils - https://bugs.debian.org/807071 - bsdutils: script(1)
missing on kfreebsd, hurd

It also only returned one result for dbus. That's why I added in a
disclaimer about not knowing its full capabilities.

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *