Re: VirtualBox / Building gnumach with minimal drivers

"Jens Mühlenhoff", le Tue 24 Aug 2010 14:08:25 +0200, a écrit :
> > > I think that one of the built-in drivers of gnumach is the problem here,
> >
> > I guess you're thinking about the "probing eata" messages, which I added
> > precisely because VirtualBox takes eons to emulate it. This is
> >
> > linux/src/drivers/scsi/eata.c: printk("probing eata on %lx\n",
> > port_base);
>
> Yes, that's where it takes a long time. Is it really necessary for the driver to probe alle these ports?

Apparently yes, the driver is not able to know where it is, and with PCI
enumeration it might be anywhere.

> > > so I was looking at the source package of gnumach, but couldn't find
> > > any documentation on how to specify which drives to include (linux
> > > Linux "make menuconfig").
> >
> > It's the usual configure --enable/--disable.
> >
> > € ./configure --help | grep eata
> > --enable-eata Linux device driver for SCSI controller EATA
> > --enable-eata_dma Linux device driver for SCSI controller EATA-DMA
> > --enable-eata_pio Linux device driver for SCSI controller EATA-PIO
>
> Ok, didn't think about that one ...

Now the question might be: should we keep it enabled by default?
Ideally the bug should just be fixed in VirtualBox (supposedly free
software).

Samuel