Re: installation report

hi folks,

did try my installation again, with the new crosshurd. here is how it
went:

- box standard virtualbox
- booted netinst cd and installed a minimal testing
  - hda1: ext3/linux
  - hda2: swap
  - hda3: empty for hurd
- booted into linux, upgraded to unstable and installed crosshurd and
  some other usefull stuff (vim etc). i did not upgrade to the new grub.
- mkfs.ext2 -o hurd /dev/hda3
- mount /dev/hda3 target
- crosshurd there, all defaults except target and "gnu" type
- added grub entries like in this mail:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2009/09/msg00007.html
  but my device is hd0s3 of course
- reboot into hurd single-user
- ./native-install
  - the questions about grub-pc are slightly worrying, but i just clicked
    through them
  - apparently it tries to create a /etc/fstab for me, which fails with a
    "Couldn't determine root partition, sorry".
  - if i try to run nano it gives me a "Error opening terminal: unknown"
  - /etc/fstab contains only comments
- reboot in multi-user hurd
- hurd comes up ok, but can't login because i don't know the password,
  so rebooted into linux and set something in /etc/shadow
- now i can log in, woohoo! that funny console cmd that i had problems with
  the last time did
  work as well, and nano works fine afterwards
- something wrong with my fstab however, if i enter a swap partition there and
  do a "swapon -a" it fails, looks like i have no /dev/hd0s2. in fact i only
  had a /dev/hd0... after the restart i could run MAKEDEV myself without
  problems, so that fixes this
  i think the original makedev problem was that it could not figure out what my
  root fs was, so that variable was not set...

so summing up: quite smooth except for the makedev thing and the fact
that there is no root password set, i'll look into the makedev problem
next time!

cu  robert

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com