LX1 installer and Debian GNU/Hurd

(please forward this mail to appropriate people if I did not reach
them already)

Hi,

this purpose of this mail is to start a discussion on how to integrate
the new L* series of the Debian GNU/Hurd installer with the general
Debian GNU/Hurd port.

I tried the LX1 image a while ago with qemu and was successfully able to
install it.  Two general things I noticed:

 * The paritioning/formatting could do with some more checks, one user
   reported he accidently had his GNU/Linux /home partition formatted.

 * The installation results in a /usr symlink.  Debian GNU/Hurd should
   have a real /usr directory, rather.

Now, the question is how to proceed from here.  It seems there is one
LX1 miniISO being distributed via rapidshare and mirrored at some lesser
known locations.  Is this the final LX1 miniISO, or some testing/beta
release?  Is there a full CD set available?  I believe parts of the
screen messages say this installer would install X, while the miniISO
does not contain X packages.

Where should these ISO images be hosted?  So far, the primary location
for the K* series was on ftp.gnuab.org, is it OK to have the L* series
hosted there as well?

Where should the source code of the L installer be hosted?  I think it
could be put onto alioth as part of the debian-hurd project (and maybe
the crosshurd code should be put there as well), do you agree?  I think
the source code should include native-install and how to assemble the
base tarball (if you used any code for it, how did you assemble it?) and
how to master the ISO, do you use any scripts for that?

regards,

Michael