Re: On starting the Hurd console by default

(CCing debian-hurd, hope you don't mind)

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 11:45:10AM +1200, John Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 17:38 +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > I think now is the time to think about how we want to go about starting
> > the Hurd console by default on bootup.
> > Some things to consider:
> >
> How to react when it doesn't work?

Good question. This should be punted upstream I guess.

> My system displayed a blank screen when I attempted to start X,

You need to start the console first, before you start X. And you need to
change the mouse settings appropriately.

> console -d vga -d pc_kbd --repeat=kbd -d pc_mouse --repeat=mouse -c /
> dev/cons /dev/vcs
>
> But now, after upgrading (through apt-get) to the latest hurd, X etc,
> starting the console results in a blank screen that is unresponsive to
> keyboard input and needs a hard reset.

Hmm, that's the same problem Guillem Jover reported. I also had this a
couple of times, but it works for me currently. I have no idea what is
going wrong here.

Marco/Marcus, do you have any hints about this?

> >  - What about the console options?

> Where are these documented?

Marco wrote to this list today with a couple of option. In general, your
above line should suffice though.

cheers,

Michael