Re: Testers wanted: New installation method

---- Begin Original Message ----

From: Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>
Sent: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:02:36 +0200
To: debian-hurd@lists.debian.org
Subject: Testers wanted: New installation method

Hello,

I'd like to get some testers for a new installation method. It is based
on Roland's ext2 xattr-hurd patches for Linux-2.6, which enables us to
extract a base tarball with intact passive translators, thus not
requiring native-install.

This means all you need to do in order to install Debian GNU/Hurd from
GNU/Linux is to extract one tarball, the base packages are already
unpacked, installed and configured afterwards.

Requirements
============

In order to install Debian GNU/Hurd from this tarball, you need the
following prerequisites from http://people.debian.org/~mbanck/xattr-hurd/:

1. A Linux-2.6 kernel running with Roland's xattr-hurd patches.
 a) I've created one based on the latest standard Debian kernel image,
    it's called kernel-image-2.6.7-1-686_2.6.7-2.1_i386.deb
 b) At the above location, there is also a
    kernel-patch-xattr-hurd_20040302-1_all.deb in case you want to roll
    your own kernel.
2. The gnu-20040731.tar.bz2 tarball, also located at the above url.
3. The 'star' package.

Installation
============

Just do the following steps:

1. mke2fs -o hurd /dev/foo
2. mount /dev/foo /bar && cd /bar
3. star artype=exustar -xattr -x -v -j -f /baz/gnu-20040731.tar.bz2
4. Modify /bar/etc/fstab according to your needs, especially change the
   root partition[1]
5. If you have the 'attr' package installed , you can check your passive
   translators wiht 'getfattr -d -m "gnu.*" /bar/servers/* /bar/dev/*'

Configuration
=============

1. Add the device files for your partitions to /dev with MAKEDEV[1]
2. I haven't configured anything except for the required tzconfig, which
   I set to CEST. You can change that running 'tzconfig'.
3. Change /bar/etc/hostname and /bar/etc/hosts to your needs.
4. Other stuff

I hope the above will work alright. *Please* follow-up with any
successful or unsuccessful installation attempts!

If this works out fine, we could think about adding support for
xattr-hurd into crosshurd (i.e. setting up the passive translators while
still on GNU/Linux), in order to save one reboot.

enjoy,

Michael
---- End Original Message ----

  Hi Michael. This looks a very similar install method (not the
same exactly) that the small spanish distro Bee GNU/Hurd

     http://bee.es.gnu.org/?p=whatis&l=en

  The two principals tarballs of Bee, bee-base and bee-usr are
directly extracted in the new partition created with

mke2fs -o hurd /dev/foo

and in the first boot the system create some devices by
itself and show an "emergency shell" for complete the system
configuration.

  Last realease of Bee is one year old. This distro can use any
package system supported by Hurd, that as far as i know, today
are dpkg, portage and pkgsrc. The system mantainers give support
for pkgsrc, derived from NetBSD system. One of the more important
task to do for help Bee is port sources to Hurd compatibles
packages. I hope can help with this at the end of my holidays.

  Regards.

  Jose.

http://www.lordofunix.org

Not Registered Bee GNU/Hurd User.
Registered BSD User 51101.
Registered Linux User #213309.
Memories..... You are talking about memories.
Rick Deckard. Blade Runner.

Obtenga su E-mail GRATUITO en http://tandilnet.zzn.com
Get your own Web-based E-mail Service at http://www.zzn.com