Re: X-free libraries

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:53:33PM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:

> >> Can't someone rebuild the XFree packages?  There is a patch from Robert than
> >> can be found on gnuab.
> >
> > Well, there's no source for the xfree86_4.3.0-0pre1v3.1 hurd-i386 binary
> > packages on gnuab, that's why I never tried to build them. However,
> > there are source package files for the 0pre1v5+rmh.1 GNU/k*BSD packages
> > and the ChangeLog suggests that they include the GNU/Hurd fixes as well:

> Why is there a need to rebuild them?  Can't those packages be used?
>
> So what I am wondering is:
>
> - Why don't those packages work (errors?).

If you look at http://ftp.gnuab.org/debian/pool/main/x/xfree86, you will
notice a bunch of libraries which are available for kfreebsd and netbsd,
but not for hurd-i386:

libice-dev libice6-dbg libice6 libsm-dev libsm6-dbg libsm6 libx11-6-dbg
libx11-6 libx11-dev libxext-dev libxext6-dbg libxext6 libxft1-dbg
libxft1 libxi-dev libxi6-dbg libxi6 libxmu-dev libxmu6-dbg libxmu6
libxmuu-dev libxmuu1-dbg libxmuu1 libxp-dev libxp6-dbg libxp6 libxpm-dev
libxpm4-dbg libxpm4 libxrandr-dev libxrandr2-dbg libxrandr2 libxt-dev
libxt6-dbg libxt6 libxtrap-dev libxtrap6-dbg libxtrap6 libxtst-dev
libxtst6-dbg libxtst6 libxv-dev libxv1-dbg libxv1 libmesa-dev libmesa3

That's just lib packages and some quick editing, I did no thorough
investigation. However, those are basically the split-off xlibs
libraries, modulo the mesa stuff. As we have a arch-dependant, binary
xlibs_4.3.0-0pre1v3.1_hurd-i386.deb on ftp.gnuab.org, I assume that the
library split took place right after those .debs for GNU/Hurd were
built.

Now, the problem is that the xlibs package is architecture independent
(Arch: all) these days, as it is just a transitioning package depending
on the real library packages:

blackbird~$ apt-cache show xlibs | grep -E -e '(Version|Arch|Depends)'
Architecture: all
Version: 4.3.0.dfsg.1-1
Depends: libice6, libsm6, libx11-6, libxext6, libxft1, libxi6, libxmu6,
libxmuu1, libxp6, libxpm4, libxrandr2, libxt6, libxtrap6, libxtst6,
xlibs-data

So if you try to install X, the xlibs package from ftp.debian.org will
be looked at (because it's version is higher than the hurd-i386 xlibs
from ftp.gnuab.org) and APT then fails to find all the libraries it
depends on.

At least that's how I guess it happens, and Philip seems to encounter
this problem. (I've got those old 4.1 xlibs installed)

I'm not sure why it works for you, what's the version of your xlibs
package? Did you put it on hold? Does apt-get complain when you try to
upgrade?

> - If those work why not use them (now it is clean were the source code
>   can be found, right?)?

It seems the X-Server is working at least, that's good. People will
still want to install the X libraries though. I guess they could install
just the xlibs package from ftp.gnuab.org manually and put it on hold
afterwards, as a work-around, dunno if that would work. But eventually,
we want to have fully working (and uptodate) X packages.

Now, if we agree that we should switch to the X.org ones at the earliest
convenience (for example, I think I've seen Gnoppix [a GNOME-based
Knoppix variant] announce that their latest X is from X.org, so we could
have a look at what they took for building), we could just try to
document a work-around (if there is any) and wait till we get a working
source package from somewhere else (or roll our own).

I'm not sure what you're trying to say WRT the source and where it can
be found.

I suspect that simply rebuilding the latest source package at gnuab.org
(4.3.0-0pre1v5+rmh.1, perhaps merging with the official 4.3.0.dfsg.1-1)
should work and get us the missing library packages, barring other
problems. Luckily, the xlibs package does not have versioned Depends
(which would be silly) on the libraries, so just any version will do.

What I've explained above is not Hurd specific at all, it's just a
general problem when you have an Arch: all package which depends on
packages which have not been built yet (or if that Arch: all package has
a versioned dependency on packages which are not current).

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer