Re: Installation report

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 09:27:32AM -0700, James Morrison wrote:
>
> >> The only a bit tricky thing I had to do is download the packages that
> >> are one alpha.gnu.org, but required by cross-install, by hand, and put
> >> them in partial/
>
> >  I don't understand what you mean?
>
> I mean that the most complicated step of the install was figuring out
> that the cross-install script wasn't smart enough to go looking on
> alpha.gnu.org for the .deb's it doesn't find in the debian archives,
> firing up an ftp client, downloading these .deb's and putting them in

In the future you may want to try using wget.  I don't know if it exactly
applies in this case, but wget is command line based, and supports the
resuming of downloads.  In most cases it is much quicker than firing up an
ftp client, can be scripted, and as I just mentioned can resume an
interrupted download.  It has other very cool features but I'll stop
there.

HTH,
Jason