Installation report

Hi,

I installed a new GNU/Hurd system yesterday. I don't have a CD
burner, and the gnu-latest.tar.gz is not available anymore / yet, so I
used the "cross-install" script from
alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus.

Here are the things that need fixing I hit:

 - the apt-get currently in the Debian archives is linked against
   libstdc++3, but the latter is neither in alpha.gnu.org, neither in
   the Debian archives. There is no apt-get on alpha.gnu.org.

   Either libstdc++3 must be recompiled and uploaded or apt-get
   recompiled and linked against libstdc++4.

   For the moment, I have put the library directly in /lib (thanks to
   Marcus for sending it to me) and modified /var/lib/dpkg/status by
   hand so that apt/dpkg won't complain about missed dependencies.

 - the package list in the cross-install script is not in sync with
   what is available, either in the Debian archives or on
   alpha.gnu.org:

   libstdc++3 is not available
   gcc-3.0-base is not available

The only a bit tricky thing I had to do is download the packages that
are one alpha.gnu.org, but required by cross-install, by hand, and put
them in partial/

--
Lionel