CD install instructions

As I mentioned last week, I've just been playing around with
installing Debian GNU/Hurd.  Last night I tried again with just the
first iso from the J1 set of CD's.  In the process, I noted a few
weaknesses in the instructions[1], where more guidance would have been
helpful to me, and I assume others like me.

[1] <http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-cd/>

a) I was installing on a machine that already had Grub on it.  The
   Grub boot floppy image is provided on the CD, but it would be nice
   if the appropriate grub commands were listed in the document as
   well, so they could be copied into the existing menu.lst file.  My
   principal question was whether I need to boot with the "-s" on the
   kernel command line during the ./native-install procedures.

b) I read elsewhere (??) that the serverboot.gz business was
   deprecated, but the recommended alternative doesn't seem to work.
   What is up with that?

c) Is it necessary or desirable to get all four iso's or can you just
   get the base system installed and networking running with the first
   iso and then sync up from a network server?  If the latter, what
   should go in /etc/apt/sources.list?

d) I had tried last week with the first iso of the H4 set, and managed
   to get networking going pretty easily with /hurd/pfinet, but this
   time (maybe I've forgotten what I did before) with J1 I don't seem
   to have DNS name resolution working.  There is no
   /etc/resolv.conf.  What should I do?

e) Also, advice on getting ssh to work.

Thanks for any advice/guidance!

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr@aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible