Re: Kernel video driver (was: Boot problem @ /hurd/ext2fs.static)

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 12:31, Wolfgang Jährling wrote:
> > I mean, should the translator just be something like a "pipe" to
> > the video memory or should it already provide drawing functions? Should
> > it allow access from every application?
>
> I don't think it should be a pipe.  It should make it possible for
> applications to map the video buffer into their own memory.  In addition
> to that, it could provide a nice RPC drawing interface.

Just doing the memory mapping should be a good starting point, right?

> As to who should be able to access it, well, don't we have the file
> permission bits for that?

I mean, what happens if two apps want to grab the video memory. Say a
graphical console is launching a graphical application. This application
could "take over" the screen somehow as long as it's running and than
nicely release it back to the previous owner after exiting. Or somehow
like that.

- Daniel