Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:00:09AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On a system I just had access to, it took 15 seconds to create the 143 device
> > file at installation.  Most of them are ptyps, ptyqs, ttyps and ttyqs.
> > (If used to set up the chroot's for the autobuilder, the number of those
> > could certainly be lowered).
> > Is this fast enough?
>
> Wow. That's _very_ slow. For what it's doing it's probably about as slow
> as the Linux MAKEDEV.

Well, the Hurd/GNU Mach combo in general is slow.   When the Hurd is stable,
and secure, and runs all of Debian, I might get to some profiling and
optimization :)   [in fact, we have some optimization issues going on right
now, and we will evaluate the speedup possible by implementing the Hurd on
top of L4, which is very promising, but optimization in general is low
priority]

Setting a translator is also more expensive than just creating a device
node, but I am not sure if that has much on an effect.

> OTOH, in absolute terms it's not that big a deal, so it probably is fast
> enough.

Yeah, I agree.

(Just cross checking) Wow, I wasn't even aware that there are 1364 files
in my /dev on GNU/Linux.  I guess that explains why I didn't understood what
the problem was here.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de