Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:45:09AM +0200, Wolfgang Jährling wrote:
> > No, as they are started by users. /libexec is for programs which are not
> > started by users.
>
> So they *should* be in /bin. Glad we cleared that up!

No, /bin is for programs that should be in the user's shell path.

In the Hurd, there is a totally different way of starting programs, in
addition to "started by users at the shell" and "started implicitly by
other programs".  This way goes by the heading "passive translators",
and it is such beasties that live in the /hurd directory.

Thomas