Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 08:01:17PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 01:56:05AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > /lib/modules is completely wrong.  Hurd servers are neither a library nor
> > modules, nor non-executable architecture specific data or anything of that
> > sort.
>
> So they should go in this libexec thing y'all can't live without?

They should if they were started indirectly by other programs without
that users are aware of it.  But this is not the case.

They are started directly or indirectly by the system, but always on behalf
of the user when he explicitely requests so.  Please read my mail in reply
to Joey Hess, which gives an example how Hurd servers are used.

Make yourself familiar with the design of the Hurd, and with the differences
between programs in /bin, /sbin, /libexec and /hurd.  If then you still have
a question or a doubt about the existance of such differences, feel free to ask.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de