Re: where do NEW packages go?

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Happily we can override the FHS in policy. I for one would be happy to
> see a policy proposal from the Hurd people that explains why /hurd is
> needed instead of existing stuff like /boot or more generally
> FHS-acceptable stuff like /lib/something, from anyone involved in the
> Hurd who can refrain from calling the FHS people a pack of fools, and
> who is capable of carrying on a sensible conversaion.

/hurd is a very different sort of beast.  It holds binaries which are
translators--they are not run from the command line at all, but are
automatically started up by filesystems to create things roughly like
mounts in Unix.

/hurd is therefore an entirely different kind of file from the ones
common on Unix systems.  It's well-explained in the as-yet-unpublished
Hurd annex to the FHS.

I don't think there will be any reason to have Hurd-specific Debian
policy overrides to the FHS, because instead the Right Thing will be
to specify the right Hurd things in the FHS itself.

Thomas