Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 04:08:13PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > As I see it, Debian GNU/Hurd can, at most, be a system that helps people
> > install, test, hack on, and play with, the Hurd as it is now.
>
> It indeed helps us with that. But we want it to make a real operating
> system for general use.

You want to make the GNU system a real operating system for general
use. Debian already is a real operating system for general use, so you
can't *make* it that way.

> > It can never
> > fulfill RMS' dream he wrote down in the GNU Manifesto; consider the fact
> > that Debian and GNU define 'Free Software' in a different way.
>
> Not really.

Uhh, yes. GNU defines 'Free Software' by defining what 'Freedom' means,
and how that applies to Software. Debian defines 'Free Software' by a list
of properties a license should have; if they all apply, the software can
be called 'Free' according to Debian.

> The only incompatible I know of is the atistic
> license.

Think FDL.

[...]
> A very big part of Debian is implementing the GNU Coding Standards
> upstream. Why change it in Debian?

One could also argue that a very big part of Debian implements the FHS
upstream. This argument is bogus.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"