Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> The big question is if Debian (GNU/Hurd) can and/or should be the GNU
> system.  This is probably too big a question, and is not specific enough
> (what does it exactly mean, to be the GNU system?) and has potential to be
> loaded by emotions.

Not being obstructed by any form of knowledge about the subject, I think
Debian GNU/Hurd can never become the GNU system, simply because such a
system could only be made by GNU itself, not by Debian.

As I see it, Debian GNU/Hurd can, at most, be a system that helps people
install, test, hack on, and play with, the Hurd as it is now. It can never
fulfill RMS' dream he wrote down in the GNU Manifesto; consider the fact
that Debian and GNU define 'Free Software' in a different way.

> Frankly, I am scared to ask this question, and I don't
> see the point in asking it right now anyway.  (So please let us not even
> start to discuss it here.)

too late ;-)

Although I can not or do not want to define what it means to be "the GNU
system", I don't think Debian can provide it.

> I don't agree that the Hurd should simply try to implement Debian's policy
> wherever possible, and only try to change what absolutely is impossible to
> implement.

I should have been more clear there: Debian's hurd-i386 port should do
so. The Hurd, of course, should do what it thinks or feels to be best; and
if that means 'implement GNU Coding Standards to the letter', then so be
it.

Still ...

> The process of reevaluating Debian's policy is a healthy one,
> and can only lead to an even better policy.

... I don't think anyone could argue that part.

<snip>

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"