shared library renames and NEW files overrides (Re: where do NEW packages go?)

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> immo vero scripsit:

> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 06:22:45AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > There's a trust issue invovled here.  CIM(you do know what that is, don't
> > you?) requires notifications to be sent to the US gov't for ALL new packages.
> > This slows things down.
>
> Ouch.  Well, dpkg is just stalled because of by-hand, and libc0.3 is just
> renamed from libc0.2 because of the ABI change.  Do you know if renaming
> requires to file notifications?

This, I see as a shortcoming of current system.
There are some maintainers who refrain from changing
shared library package names because new shared library package
name will require ftpmaster overrides and delay the new package.

A shared library with new soname should come with new
package name, otherwise things do break.

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4