Re: dpkg-shlibdeps (was Re: Cannot install HURD: bsdutils missing)

* Marcus Brinkmann <marcus@gnu.org> [020502 18:04]:
> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 05:43:33PM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> > Ah thanks Jeff, very interesting.  Looks like this has been an issue for
> > quite awhile.
>
> Bet on it.  From the very first beginnings (eg, four years ago).

Whoa, I guess I hit a nerve.  I saw several messages from you over the
years on this issue.  Now that they went back to ldd, well, I'm not
actually too interested in the code details.  I am interested in getting
something in upstream that works for the Hurd.

> > Any idea when this (with whatever logic) is this going to
> > get merged into the upstream dpkg-dev binary package?
>
> No. See
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2002/debian-dpkg-200204/msg00094.html
>
> I don't know what to do to get a reply.  Maybe write a patch as I see
> fit.

They seem pretty busy, whatever.  Writing a good patch that someone can
apply seems a good approach to me.

> > on this issue revealed other ports having problems too.  I don't know if
> > this fix is universal.
>
> No, it is an ugly hack.
[...]

I got the dpkg CVS code and patched it.  I can't see how to wrap it with
a minimal amount of perl logic (an oxymoron?) to make it at least a
reasonble workaround to propose committing.  The last CVS version is
dated June 20th, 2001 by doogie.  Maybe he would help with getting this
Hurd modification into the CVS.  Or course by getting it into the CVS it
later gets into the upstream packages.

I'd rather not worry about "what ifs" at this point.

Cheers,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>