Re: RFP: egd -- Entropy Gathering Daemon - userspace /dev/random written in perl

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 08:14:00AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 10:14:43PM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> > This is needed by the Hurd port to replace the kernel based /dev/random
>
> Actually, we will have a kernel based random device in oskit, it is critical
> to get good random.  And a translator for /dev/random that can take
> randomness from various sources, including egd, so it's still useful.

Well, as upstream says:

"EGD is an Entropy Gathering Daemon meant to be used on systems that can run
GPG but which don't have this [/dev/random] convenient source of random bits."

This is not really useful on GNU/Linux. It would be useful on GNU for some
time untill we have a complete random translator, but that translator
gathering entropy from EGD makes the whole process slower.

Why not just looking at EGD's sources to learn where does it take
entropy from and incorporating that features to the translator?

Just my two cents

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992