Re: oskit-mach: gdb_break_stub() confusion

Well, the install from tarball went fairly smoothly. Here are a few
notes from my experience today.

- native_install did not add root to group root, so a lot of things
 got installed as root.1005

- If you don't have a floppy drive, then /dev/fd causes a lot of
 programs to segfault, and it is impossible to delete the node
 unless one reboots to linux or somesuch.

- If you have a PS/2 mouse, you must first "touch /dev/mouse"
 before you can settrans it.

- Lots of dependency problems in the initial dselect upgrade,
 especially concerning "makedev", "console-tools", and "netbase",
 this was easy to straighten out, but would probably be confusing
 for a newbie.

Otherwise, I got the job done in a couple hours. No problem
getting ethernet going, etc. Now I'm back to tinkering with
oskit-mach, from my first test runs of the SMP enabled kernels,
they hang right after the "Welcome to Gnumach-1.2 OSKit"

I've got my hi-tech hp9000 serial hurd debugging system working
so I'll see if I can trace it to where the hangup is.

Later!
- Doug

Neal H Walfield wrote:

BTW, I discovered that "cp -a * /mnt" did not do a very nice job of
duplicating Hurd on another partition. It messed up all the device
files. I decided to reinstall from the tarball to give me a nice clean
environment and test it out as well.

cp does not (yet) copy the Hurd attributes (e.g. the passive
translator settings).