Re: First contact with Debian GNU/HURD

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:47:59AM +0200, Florian Quetting wrote:
> script, wich could solve my problems. He told me I had to cross-insstall
> the HURD first.
> This procedure didn't sucseed, because the cross-install script told me
> some packages where missing.

You could have used the tar ball method and just extract that on some
partition.

> Boot seemed to work, but then my System hangs with these messages at the
> end:
> com=: at atbus0 , port = 3f8 , spl = 6 , pic = 4 (DOS COM1)
> com1: at atbus1The device below will clobber IRQ3
> You have two devices at the same IRQ.
> This won't work. Reconfigure your hardware and try again.
> com1: port = 2f8 , spl = 6 , pic = 3
>
> I think this could be a conflikt with my ethernet-card, so I'll try to
> remove it from my computer.

You have to take care of that.  IRQ sharing is not supported.  You could
try to disable that serial port in the BIOS, too, rather than opening the
case and plug the card.

> If I can manage my system to boot properly, I'll tell you, if your script
> worked - even if I
> didn't need it because of my new hd-drive.

That's good news, thanks for testing!

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de