Re: Networking

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Dave McDonald wrote:

> > On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Dave McDonald wrote:
> >
> > What would be helpful would be if you could identify the packages needed.
> > This would mean that you could continue your installation and I would know
> > exactly what was needed on this floppy.
>
> OK. I'll do my best. In order to do that, I think I am first going to
> need to succeed at getting my Hurd networking. (Just for comparison and
> so I don't request any spurious packages).
>

> (When last we corresponded, I resolved to install Linux on another
> partition and copy the necessary files from another machine via. NFS
> onto the Hurd partition. The Debian Linux installation works a little
> different to the way I recall it proceeding - probably my failing
> recollections of the event - but I cannot NFS mount exported filesystems
> from machine "L", my normal Linux machine with the necessary images,
> etc. on it, on machine "H" my combo Hurd/Linux machine - irrespective
> which O/S i am **installing**. I have no trouble mounting the exports
> from machine "B", which is running OpenBSD. I sincerely doubt that the
> Debian Linux boot floppies can NFS mount anything - I know the Debian
> Hurd boot floppies can't, so I guess the Hurd has achieved some kind of
> perverse parity!).

Not having a network I cannot comment from experience, but a comment on
debian-boot suggests that this is the case.

> I am almost tempted to give up my thrifty ways and send you an order for
> the CD! I'm having about as much luck as the All Blacks! Still, I shall
> not part with my hard earned credit so easily. ;^)

Yes, that was the secondary match here in Dunedin, Otago won the important
one.  Yes, you are strongly advised to get the CDs ;)

> For my next stunt, I think I can get an FTP client onto the
> not-yet-installed Linux partition of the Hurd/Linux machine and transfer
> the files that way.
>
> Wish me luck.

You have it.

> Then call a psychiatrist.		;^)

I know a number well, happy to reccommend.

Phil.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - preferred.           philipc@debian.org