Re: Need to cross-compile gnumach for sym53c8xx SCSI

On 28 Mar 2001 03:46:32 -0500, B. Douglas Hilton wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I saw a web page that had info on cross-compiling Hurd, but any info
> would be appreciated.

> I suppose setting up a cross-compiler might be a good idea anyways. My
> Linux setup is a
> modified Debian 2.2 with slackware XFree86 v 4.0.2, Linux kernel
2.4.2,
> and libc-2.1.3.
I'm currently in the process of downloading gcc etc. for the hurd, so I
was in the same boat. (That &
 having to recompile gnumach to be able to boot the hurd at all! :-)
Its not as hard as it seems, but I don't remember the exact steps. Here
is what I remember:
 * go to ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/ghhk/ and pick up the dev
tarballs, make-cross, and i386-gnu-specs (or something like that).
 * run ./make-cross i386-gnu
 * try building something with CC=i386-gnu-gcc
You will probably have problems finding stdlib.h et al. This is where
the tarballs come in - extract the include files to
/usr/i386-gnu/include.
I seem to have symlinked a few files from /usr/i386-gnu/lib/ to
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-gnu/2.95.2/; the *crt* files, libc.a, and a few
other libraries by the look of it.

Hmmm, not the best instructions I've ever given. You may also need to
extract some include files from mach-dev to /usr/include to compile MiG
for linux IIRC. (mach/ I think it was...)

If you want more info, say so and I'll try to figure out exactly what I
did. Good luck!

HTH

mibus

--

Robert Mibus <mibus@bigpond.com>
A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.