Re: "Small" Bug

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 09:32:21PM +0000, powder keg wrote:

> Yes, but you gave those to us.  Now, assuming these machines are running
> Hurd (which they're not) if we telnet to your machine and find someone who
> hasn't reset their default passwd...

There are no default passwords. Any good sysadmin won't set accounts to
default passwords.

> No one is going to use the Hurd if you have some sort of nonsense like an
> open login shell.

It's the default, not mandatory. If you don't like it, switch it off.

> >Here is one for you: "root". Probably 90% of all machines have it.
>
> Yeah, but the root account doesn't usually have a simple password like the
> average user has (birthday, mother's maiden name, etc).

Educate your users or loose. Use crack to check if your users behave.

> >To close the case I make the following suggestion: Double the length of the
> >passwords from eight to sixteen. This has the same effect.
>
> This is the dumbest idea I've heard yet.  If people can't remember 8-letter
> passwords without scrawling it down in an obvious location, what makes you
> think they'll fare any better with 16-letter ones?

How do you think users will behave with a username and a password, but not
with a username and a longer password?