Re: Partition type 0x6 ?

Wolfgang "Jährling" <wolfgang@pro-linux.de> wrote:
> Hello again!

Hi there!

> I used the e2os-script to make my Debian-partition hurd-owned
> (It was mounted on / at the time when I did this - I couldn't do
> it otherwise. Does this matter?). But now GRUB says the
> type is unknown (0x6, that seems to be FAT16) but I *know* that
> it's ext2.

The owner field is not the same thing as the partition type.  FAT16 is
a partition type, as is ext2 (aka Linux native).  Partition types are
stored in a special table, not in the partition.  The owner indicator
is a special field within an ext2 filesystem.  e2os changes the owner
field.  You can change the partition type using fdisk, cfdisk, etc.
It should be Linux native (0x83, I believe) for the Hurd.  It is *NOT*
recommended to use the "GNU/Hurd" partition type code for ext2
partitions, because that is reserved for future Hurd-specific use.

Hope this helps
-John