Trans [was: NFS -- Hurd]

>>>>> Allover Stripes writes:

 AS> How hard is it to write a translator?

It's moderately hard to write a Hurd-distribution-quality, efficient
translator.  You need to understand the Hurd libraries, Mach RPC, and
cthreads in order to do it well, but there are many examples, and with
some effort, you'll make it past the learning curve.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to write a wrapper
translator that ran subprograms something like a web server does CGIs.
I called this idea `progio'.  It would be quite useful for novices to
begin experimenting with them.

 AS> I remember (months ago) Gordon Matzigkeit wrote a gizmo that
 AS> allowed development and testing of translators on other OSes.
 AS> What became of it?

It's really quite silly, but may give you some idea of the direction
I'm headed.

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/trans-0.0a.tar.gz

The core idea will soon be resurrected, but under the name `metafs'.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)