Re: Multi-user boot - almost!

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Mark Kettenis wrote:

>    Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 11:31:02 +0000 (BST)
>    From: "M.C. Vernon" <mcv21@cus.cam.ac.uk>
<snip>
>    on trying to multi-user boot, I get this error:
>    Unknown code P 2 while trying to open /dev/hd1s1
>
> I'm not sure if it solves your problems, but you might try to create
> the /dev/hd1s1 device using `MAKEDEV /dev/hd1s1'.

OK - this works, but when I try to login:

login root
or login mcv21
it asks for a password, and then says
login: checking password: operation not supported

which means the only way I can reboot is the microsoft[1] button :(

the /etc/passwd in hurd is non-shadow, so I don't see what the problem is?

Thanks,

Matthew

[1]the on/off switch
--