Re: /usr --- to link or not to link

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> So, I am asking you if we better should drop the symlink for now and use
> normal Linux file system layout. Later interested people can try with the
> symlink and watch for problems like this. I am not very interested in this,
> and I am in favour of dropping the symlink for now, but I would like to hear
> further input, especially how this affects the dynamic linker (maybe it is a
> good idea to symlink /usr/lib -> /lib instead?).

I have thought about this some before and am very much in favor of
making /usr a real directory which is optionally a separate filesystem
IN DEBIAN HURD.  It is very nice that the Hurd is flexible enough not
to require /usr, but let's face it: the Debian operating system
requires it.

Let's just add that (removal of /usr) to the list of things to do
(along with renaming /etc as /conf) when we decide to ditch Unix
compatibility for whatever reason.

-John