Re: Where best to post questions?

Hi Jeff,

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> The Free Software Foundation and the GNU Project ask that we not use
> the mailing lists to discuss non-Free software.  Because of that, we
> can't really help you with VMWare on help-hurd.  I don't know what the
> official policy of debian-hurd is though.

Then are there any support resources for the Hurd outside of gnu.org
and debian.org?  Despite the recent uproar over VMware and GNUstep, I
personally don't think it's unreasonable to help people who want to
learn about the Hurd by running it in VMware.  Perhaps there's a mailing
list, etc., hosted on some other domain?  Thanks :^)

(FWIW, I do use and support free, open source software, but I guess I'm
less interested in licensing issues and more interested in learning
about, using, and improving the Hurd.)

> I understand that some people have had some success with plex86,
> though.  Are you familiar with irc?  You might try irc.debian.org,
> channel #hurd for help with that.

I searched debian-hurd and help-hurd for plex86 and bochs over the last
year and didn't find any real success or failure reports.  Is anyone using
plex86 or the new 1.3 bochs to run the Hurd?  (And does anyone know if
plex86 is dead now?  I just did a CVS checkout and don't see any changes
since Sept. 11th....)

I'll fire up an IRC client and ask some questions on #hurd, thanks :^)

BTW, in some of the docs for the Hurd there are a couple of web pages
listed for you that don't work:

   In the GNU Hurd FAQ,
   http://people.debian.org/~jbailey/oasis/group/Debian/index.html

   On the Debian ports Hurd Links page,