Re: Slowness during installation

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 11:32:48PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:02:34PM -0400, Ryan Golbeck wrote:
> > So instead I just installed the tarball and booted into Hurd, but everything
> > seems to take a LONG time to load.  Even when the shell comes up, I might
> > be able to get in a couple 'ls' commands before I have to wait to even
> > see my typing come up on the screen.
>
> What does long mean?  The first time the shell comes up, it takes a second
> or so on my system when I press the first key until it is echoed.  This is
> quite "normal" in the sense that it is not unusual given the current
> implementation.

By long, I mean long.  It takes a while for the shell to start echoing right
away, and I can deal with that.  But I can maybe get "./nat" before it stops
echoing straight away.  I mean, I still completely type in the command "./native-install"
but it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 or so minutes for me to actually
see the completion of the command.

And after native-install started, it took about 15-20 minutes before it ask
me what country I was in for tzconfig (that is the second package configured
I believe).  There's gotta be something I'm doing wrong, I just can't figure
out what it is.

Thanks,

--
Ryan Golbeck <rmgolbeck@uwaterloo.ca>
Computer Science

GPG: 1024D/78916B84
1B1B 2A87 3F00 A7FB 40F3  526D 36CF BA44 7891 6B84