Re[2]: Anyone has read the FSF Usenix speech ?

Hello Marcus!

Tuesday, July 10, 2001, 5:15:30 AM, you wrote:

MB> True, most people in GNU are focussing on GNU/Linux rather than the Hurd
MB> right now.  This makes perfectly sense, as Linux receives a lot of attention
MB> from everywhere.  It certainly will stay this way for the near future.
MB> One reason why we don't get the attention we feel we deserve is certainly
MB> that we don't do a good job at marketing the Hurd.  But then, we also need more
MB> documentation and more people trained at the Hurd's design before inviting people
MB> to try out the Hurd and write applications for it at a large scale.
I disagree about waiting more docs and Hurd-peoples before such
inviting.
Where from there will be such docs and peoples without inviting? ;)

I think Hurd is a most probably future base of GNU. Maybe I'm wrong,
but I want to believe it.
But how many developers knows about Hurd enough to get closer look
at it and try realize their ideas under Hurd?
How they can to know more about it?

IMHO it's need to invite developers to try their power under Hurd.
Where Hurd will mean "powerfull OS that is a most probably future base
of GNU" - not least!
If they will see their ideas can be realized with Hurd more smoothly,
if they will see they can do more perfect and powerfull programs
because of Hurd specifics, if they will like the taste of Hurd - then
it will be more Hurd developers (not only Linux program porters, but
DEVELOPERS) and then more docs, more ideas how to do Hurd better.

Let's imagine I'm a developer. I have a great ideas about new programs
and I want to realize it. If I don't know enough about Hurd I will do
it for Linux only. But if I know there is a new great OS that have
more features and that is a future more powerfull alternative to Linux
I want to try it. I will produce new programs for Linux, but I will
try to use features of Hurd. If I see power of Hurd, I think "What
else can be done with it?". I want to use more features, I want to be
near to future, I start thinking Hurd-way. And it means I will do more
for Hurd because I interest it.
Isn't it what we want from developers - future developers of Hurd?

But what we have now?
Let's go to the www.debian.org home page. There is a writing about
what is a Debian: "Debian uses the Linux kernel (the core of an
operating system), but most of the basic OS tools come from the GNU
project; hence the name GNU/Linux.". No word about Hurd! Don't we
think Hurd is a future alternative of Linux or do we think Hurd is a
accessory nonsense?
We see information about Hurd only in context of porting. Is it right
way to get interest to it?
Let's invite peoples to Hurd like DEVELOPERS!
Many peoples is searching for a powerfull base to realize their ideas,
but much less wants to port ideas of others.

You say "We don't do a good job at marketing the Hurd.". But IMHO it's
need to do such job! It will be very nice to get more fresh blood to
Hurd! :)

MB> In the meantime, let's do the right thing and bring the Hurd to the next
MB> release.  It will be worth it!  And then we might even get our own press
MB> release ;)
It will be nice! :)
But IMHO it's need to invite developers as soon as it is possible.
Press release is more usefull to get attention of sysadmins and users.

Thank You!
--
Best regards,
 dim                            mailto:dimsmol@yahoo.com